Friday, September 17, 2010

Yup! I signed Up!

So last night I went to the Kempenfelt Quilters' Guild meeting and became a new member.  I went by myself, which was a little intimidating, but at least I was going to a place where everyone had the same basic interest - Quilting! Yea!

The ladies were friendly and welcoming.  The club is really large!  I'm sure there were between 120-150 people there.  There were so many club activities going on, it was a little overwhelming... but I loved it!

Upon registering, I was given a welcome letter and a Chatelaine kit to make.  Never heard of a Chatelaine before... it is a scarf-like thing in natural muslin on the front and backed in red.  The ladies wear it to Guild meetings and attach their name tags and quilting pins to it.  I am encouraged to embellish it however I wish.  This is the hard part because if I go all out, I might attract attention... no longer be anonymous... set a reputation I might have to uphold.  Oh Phyllis, just let it go... enjoy.  That's what its really about.

 No sooner had I paid my membership... walked 2 steps... and was invited to join the block of the month club which starts today... sure!  Why not?... another $5... not bad for all the photocopying of instructions involved...  What this; its a mystery quilt?   A Prairie Sampler Block of the Month.  Well, who doesn't love a good mystery?  I just hope I don't agonize over my colour choices... Left the table with more papers in my hands.

Next table... Quilts for charity... The community project for this guild is "Small Comfort Quilts".  They make 40"x60" quilts to cover the isolettes for at-risk premature babies in the neo-natal unit at RVH.  They had several quilt kits made up for members to take home, make, and return.  So... Why not?... After all its on my list... #26 of 50... May as well get started... Selected one with cute baby print blocks.  Now my arms are getting full, must find a seat.  Two ladies that I met when coming in, Isabel and Brenda, have saved me a seat.  Very kind of them.  I drop my stuff on the chair and head to the other side of the room. 

Hmm... sign up for an all day class on Nov. 6 just to play with threads and learn new applique techniques.  Sounds very tempting, but it is the weekend closest to my son's birthday.  Maybe I better not.  I'm tempted just the same.

Next table... used quilting magazines on sale. $1 each. Great price!  I flip through some... do I really need another project?  I've just taken on 3 and I've only been here 10 minutes.  Head to the next table... the Guild's library.  Some really great books to sign out, but its the same story here.  I really must complete some of my projects before taking more on.

I head back to my seat.  The meeting is about to begin.  On the chair is a sealed envelop marked "President's Challenge".  We are directed by the President to open them.  Inside we each have a different paint chip card of about six colours which we are to match our fabric choices to.   We have until the December Guild meeting to make a quilt, placemat, table runner, bag, etc.  using at least two of the colours.  The colours I have are Peachtree, Rio Rose, and Tibet Tan.  Not my favourites.  In fact, I doubt I have anything in my stash to match.  Do I accept the challenge?... hmmm... that remains to be seen.

Our guest speaker was Anita Zobens, owner of The Cotton Mill Threadworks.  She educated us on the various sewing and quilting threads available and the sewing machine needles compatible with them.  She only sews with titanium top stitching needles.  During break, I headed over to her booth.  By now, I'm just about broke... but I really must have those needles... open my change purse and count out the coins... even parted with my lucky Olympic looney... must have Titanium... Yes!  Kinda silly really... Reminded me of my husband's enthusiasm over new golf clubs. lol

Near the end of the evening, there is time for show and tell.  We all Ohhhhd and Ahhhhd over some amazing quilts, some of them Comfort Quilts for RVH.  So much talent, all collected in one room.  Inspiring!  Now I really won't be able to sleep.

#8 of 50, Join a Quilt Guild, Accomplished!

No comments:

Post a Comment