Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Small Comforts

Recently I have been compelled to make a quilt for charity... but , which one?  One of the great things about joining a quilt guild is that they all seem to have some quilting project on the go for a charity.

Small Comfort Quilt Kit
When I joined the Kempenfelt Quilter's Guild last week, they had a table set up with quilt kits for members to take home, make, and return.  The quilts, "Small Comfort Quilts", are made 40"x60" to cover the isolettes for at-risk premature babies in the neo-natal unit in Royal Victoria Hospital (RVH), Barrie.  I selected a kit with cute baby prints and a deep purple backing.

Wanting more of a challenge than just joining 70 blocks together, I came across a pattern called "Wiggles and Giggles" in Country Woman magazine, April/May 2009 issue.  I had to add an extra row of blocks so the quilt would finish to the correct dimensions.  I also chose some of my own fabrics to coordinate with the baby prints given to me in the kit.  I cut out the pieces on Monday and sewed the blocks together yesterday and today.  This is my progress so far...
Now all I need to do is find a border fabric to match.
This one has been exciting watching it come together.

No comments:

Post a Comment