Wednesday, September 15, 2010

My first few (of the 50) sewing and quilting projects

Sew... my actual Adventuresome 50 by 50 started in May.  Starting a blog came a few months later.  I will attempt to add my completed crafty projects today.

They are in no particular order, just all accomplished since the start of May.  Sorting them would take too much time, and doesn't really change the tally number towards my goal.

Here goes...

1.  Book bag - made for my daughter, Katelyn, this past Saturday.  We went to Fabricland and she picked out the fabrics.  Features of the bag include and inner zippered pocket; pockets to hold her calculator, cell phone, pens and pencils, and lip gloss (very important, lol); a tab on the outside to clip her water bottle to; and, a tab on the inside to clip her keys to (a very handy addition).  This one I designed based on a flimsy unlined green shopping bag that she had been using, but holes were wearing through.





2.  Purse - made for myself sometime in early August.  I love leaves and leaf prints, much more so than florals... not sure why, but I do.  So when I saw this neutral leaf print at a really great price, I just had to snatch it up!  When I got to the cash register, they took an additional 50% off - Gotta love it when that happens!  On the other hand, the lining was considerably more expensive, but I love it!!!   I made the pattern by copying a touristy bag that says Myrtle Beach all over it.  I loved the length of the handles and the proportions of the bag.  Its great for shopping at the mall.  One feature that I added was a tab to attach my keys to.  I have never lost my keys since doing this!  I also added a zippered pocket in the lining... something I've never done before... I had to look up instructions on YouTube.



I'm sew glad I added this attachment for my house keys.
I can unlock the door without ever removing them from the hook so they never get lost.

3.  Doll Clothes - my Mother-In-Law had these two dolls since she was a little girl.  They are from the early 1940s and are made by the Reliable Toy Company of Canada.  The dolls are named Topsy after the little slave girl in the book "Uncle Tom's Cabin".  The dolls are made of composite, which is like a sawdust and glue mixture molded to shape the doll's body.  Unfortunately, her two younger brothers thought the larger doll needed a bath, and the doll's body softened and came apart.  Her parents replaced the doll with the smaller one.  Both were kept all these years, even though the arms, legs, and head were no longer attached.  Mom contacted the Simcoe County Museum to see if they new of someone who restored antique dolls.  They gave her the name of a lovely British woman living in Elmvale, who willingly restored them.  She even made a new body out of cloth for the larger one. 


Isn't she darling?

Both dolls were without clothes.  I had fun designing and making these outfits for Mom's Topsy dolls.



 
4.  Clothes for Shirley Temple Doll - My Mother-In-Law was raised by a wonderful lady, Auntie Gertie, after her own mother passed away when she was 5.  Auntie Gertie, had an authentic Shirley Temple doll made around 1936/37 by the Ideal Toy Company.  Like Mom's dolls, this one too, had arms and legs that needed reattaching.  One day while putting away Auntie Gertie's Scrabble game in a closet, Mom noticed the doll, and snuck it out of the house.  She brought it, along with her Topsy dolls, and had them repaired all at once.  This doll too, did not have a stitch of clothing.  Mom remembered the dress that she wore and was able to accurately describe it to me.  I was able to find the exact one on the Internet and make a pretty reasonable copy.  I also designed and knitted the socks she is wearing.  I had so much fun doing this and surprising Auntie Gertie, when it was completed.








No comments:

Post a Comment