Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Quilted Bible Covers

Lately, I seem to have this fixation on making quilted book covers, but I wanted to make them for a book that one would want to keep and read frequently.  Hence, the Bible.

8.  Bible Cover for Phyllis (me)
      I believe I'm a Retro girl at heart.  I'm just not bold enough, yet, to use it as a fashion statement.  But I did see this great fabric while on a shop hop this Spring and had to purchase it.  The design, my own except for the bird, also came pretty easily from there. 

My fabric and thread choices.


Design Inspiration


Work in Progress

Finished!


Close Up

Inside Front Cover

Inside back cover with pocket.


 9.  Bible Cover for Melissa

  This was a gift for my neice for her Profession of Faith.  It is totally designed by myself.  You have permission to make one for yourself or as a gift, but please do not publish or sell my work as your own. 

Katelyn and I had been emailing back and forth for a week with ideas to make this Bible cover for Melissa. 

Hmmm…. What colours do we use?  What screams Melissa? Radically bold brights?  The classic elegance of black & white with silver accents?  In the end, we couldn’t decide, so we used a combination of both.

Selection of Fabrics


Embelishments to add


What do we put on it?  Katelyn suggested a sun with words from its rays and two hearts (yours and the Lord’s).  From there, the design came easily.  When we think of you Melissa, we see Joy and Laughter, and a shining love for the Lord.  So the concept for the front of your Bible cover became…Shine with the Joy and Laughter you have when your Heart is in the Lord.  The back cover represents … Give Him Praise with your gifts of Music (particularly flute playing) and Hospitality (this is one we both notice you developing).  The steaming mug could also double as a reminder to make time spent with the Lord special.

Designing the back


Designing the Front

The sun's rays, word "Shine", and steam rising from mug, were all traced onto paper or tissue paper.  The paper was pinned on top of the right side of the fabric and stitched very slowly and carefully.  Then I gently pulled away the paper and was rewarded with beautiful stitching.

The words "Praise" and "Joy" were placed on top of the fabric I wanted as the background, then I placed black tulle/netting overtop and stitched around each letter to hold it in place.



Completed Bible Cover

 The Bible verse that best suited her cover and the occasion is as follows...

Delight yourself in the Lord, (joy, laughter, music)
and He shall give you the Desires of your Heart.  
Commit your way to the Lord;
Trust in him (heart within heart) and he will do this:
He will make your righteousness shine like the dawn,
The justice of your cause like the noonday sun.
Be still before the Lord (steaming mug) and wait patiently for him….”

 Psalm 37: 4-7a

The Inside
 10.  Bible Cover for Emily
 
I was inspired to make a Bible cover for a friend after she confided in me her recent struggles and joys.  The cover depicts the hands of God releasing 7 different colourful butterflies, which are very special and meaningful to her.  The hands are posed in such a way as to also depict God reaching out to hold her hands as she prays.

I am kicking myself over not taking a photo of it before giving it away.

No comments:

Post a Comment