Sunday, September 19, 2010

Simcoe County Quilt and Rug Fair

I attended this event on Friday (Sept 17, 2010) with my Mother-In-Law.  It is something we have done together many times over the years.  It has always been a secret ambition of mine to display one of my own quilt creations in this show... so I have added it to my list of 50 goals... who knows...

This wonderful event is held at the Simcoe County Museum located just outside of Barrie, Ontario, Canada.  The show features a room full of amazing quilts quilted by various guild members throughout Simcoe County.  There are also displays of Rug Hooking, Weaving, Embroidery, Lace Making, Teddy Bear Guild, a Craft sale, quilted items for sale, a Merchant Mall, and refreshments for sale. 

I always manage to find something at these shows that inspires me.  This time it was a hand appliqued wall hanging of the 1998 Peacemakers calendar.  I also loved a full sized Teddy Bear Quilt.  The quality of the machine applique, fabric choices, and cute bear blocks really appealed to me.  Another one that I loved had cute cats, mice, and bees all over it... also a machine applique.   Both the Teddy Bear and Cat quilts used a fine satin stitch  to applique the pieces in a thread colour to match the fabric.  I usually use a machine blanket stitch, but I really liked the look of the satin stitch.  Perhaps I will give it a try.

 I have noticed that with each passing year that the number of hand quilted quilts is dwindling.  There were very few in this show.  On the other hand, there were some lovely intricately machine quilted ones.

My most exciting find today were these four matching fabrics that I purchased in the Merchant Mall.  They are so me!!!   I had in mind to sew myself a purse with them,  but I am wondering if I will have enough left over to sew myself an apron as well.  (Hopefully I won't think of baking every time I carry my purse! lol)



I can't wait to sew...

No comments:

Post a Comment