Monday, October 4, 2010

3.  Snow Peas
 
  Although I have had snow peas served to me in restaurants before, they are not something I've ever bought and prepared.   These particular snow peas looked so good, I couldn't resist.  We all ended up liking them very much and I would definitely do them again. 

  Stir fry them in 1 Tbsp canola oil, 1 Tbsp butter or margarine for about 8 minutes until tender crisp.
Add 1 tsp cornstarch mixed in half a cup cold water, 1 pkg chicken OXO, and 1/2 tsp sugar.  Cook for approx 3 - 5 minutes until sauce thickens.


4.  Beets
    
  A friend of mine gave me some beets from her garden last week.  After battling a flu bug for the past 5 days, I finally got around to eating them today.  I have only tried them once before... last year... also from the same friend's garden.  I found a different recipe for them this time... and while they tasted OK... I think they will remain a once a year vegetable for us.

  Wash beets thoroughly.  Cut of roots and stems.  Boil covered with water for 40 minutes.  Rinse in cold water and rub off skins.  Heat 1 chopped onion  in 1 Tbsp butter, until tender.  Add 2 Tbsp lemon juice, 2 Tbsp honey, grated lemon zest,  and grated ginger root.  Add sliced beets and heat for approx. 5 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment