Wednesday, October 27, 2010

More New Foods

5.  Shanghai Bok Choy and Baby Bok Choy

Our family tried Baby Bok Choy about a year ago and loved it!!!  This time when I went grocery shopping, I bought Shanghai Bok Choy.  We loved this one also!  I can't say if I noticed a difference between the two, but both are great!  This is the recipe that I use.

2 lbs Bok Choy
1 cup chopped bacon
2 cloves garlic
1 cup mushrooms, sliced
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 lb sliced leeks
salt and pepper to taste

1.  Clean and prepare the bok choy.  Set aside in two groups, leaves and stems.  (If you cook bok choy too long it becomes bitter.  The leaves cook faster than the stems, so I remove the stems and slice them like matchsticks.)

2.  In a wok or large skillet, over medium heat add olive oil, chopped garlic, mushrooms, leeks and bacon.

3.  When the leeks and mushrooms are about half cooked, add the bok choy stems.  Cook for 2 min.

4.  Add bok choy leaves and cook for another 2 min.  (avoid over cooking the bok choy).

5.  Season with pepper and salt to taste.

Serve as a side with rice or rice vermicelli if desired.


6.  Fennel and Anise

As far as I can tell, there isn't really any difference between these two.  But we love them both.  This vegetable has a mild licorice flavour which is really great in a stir fry.  I have also found many recipes for fennel on allrecipes.com.  One of the best is "Baked Rigatoni with Italian Sausage and Fennel".

No comments:

Post a Comment